The New Castle Historical Society is a private, non-profit organization established in 1934. We are dedicated to preserving the history and culture of the City of New Castle, Delaware, and sharing them through our museums, educational programs and special events.
The Mission of the New Castle Historical Society is to collect, preserve, and promote awareness of New Castle history to its members, citizens, and visitors, and to support the preservation of historical resources. To this end, the Society preserves and interprets the Amstel and Dutch Houses, the Old Library, and The Arsenal, is active in the study of local history, and disseminates valued historical information and stories through exhibits, events, programs, publications, and resource material.
The New Castle Historical Society was established in 1934 to save the Amstel House from an uncertain future. In 1946, the Delaware Society for the Preservation of Antiquities turned over the Dutch House to NCHS for its second acquisition. Later, in 1980, the Society also reached an agreement with the Trustees of the New Castle Common to provide exhibits on town history at the Old Library Museum. In 2015 NCHS transitioned to its new administrative home at The Arsenal and began operation of the New Castle Visitor Center.
PUBLIC PROGRAMS MANAGER
ADMINSTRATIVE SERVICES MANAGER
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Jack P. Garniewski, Jr., President
Kaitlyn N. Laws, Vice President
Laura L. Fontana, Treasurer
Chris J. Cashman
Richard R. Cooch
Henry E. Nickle
James A. Whisman