The New Castle Historical Society relies heavily on volunteers and interns to accomplish the many tasks that keep our museums open and programs available.
VOLUNTEERING AT THE SOCIETY
Do you love history or antiques? Like doing historical research? How about working with your hands on maintenance or gardening projects? Event planning? Marketing? Data entry? Chances are we have a great opportunity available for you as a volunteer!
Volunteers are vitally important to the success of the New Castle Historical Society. Our volunteers help behind the scenes as well as out front with the public. Whatever your interests, skills and availability we'd love to have a conversation with you about getting involved with the Society. Volunteering with us is a fun, social, challenging and educational way to make a difference in your community.
Some examples of volunteer activities include:
- Working with our historic collections to document, care for, and store artifacts
- Performing basic maintenance tasks at our historic buildings
- Maintaining the historic gardens
- Helping plan, set up or work at special events
- Leading walking tours, acting as a museum docent or facilitating interactive programs
- Planning and installing history exhibitions
- Raising funds to support the Historical Society's mission
- Assisting with administrative tasks including mailings, distribution of promotional material, and data entry
If you are interested in learning more about volunteering at the Historical Society please contact our executive director, Mike Connolly, to set up an appointment to discuss current opportunities. Contact Mike at 302-322-2794 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
INTERNSHIPS AT THE SOCIETY
As part of our educational mission, the New Castle Historical Society provides internship opportunities for current undergraduate and graduate students. Internships at the Historical Society are typically completed for academic credit at your college or university. Paid internships are atypical and dependent on availability of funding.
We are happy to work with students and schools to develop a challenging, meaningful internship experience that will help students develop the skills needed to have a successful, satisfying professional career. While we work most frequently with students in history, museum studies and art conservation programs, there are also opportunities for students in other fields like marketing, hospitality, graphic design and communications.
Some examples of recent internship projects include:
- Accessioning and storing newly acquired historic artifacts
- Assessing existing collection storage conditions with recommendations for improvement
- Completing a photographic survey of New Castle's historic buildings
- Creating custom storage solutions for historic artifacts
- Planning and installing temporary exhibitions
- Researching historic African foodways in early America
- Evaluating interpretation options for spaces in our historic house museums
- Creating a marketing plan for our rental facilities at the Arsenal
- Developing interactive historical activities for younger visitors
If you are interested in learning more about internship opportunities at the Historical Society please contact our executive director, Mike Connolly, at 302-322-2794 or email@example.com.